Wednesday, February 19, 2014

Spicing things up at the Stiles house!


Hey friends!
Today we are going to talk about spices!!! Exciting huh?

It all starts back in Fall of 2011 when Justin and I were clueless little fiancés registering for our wedding. We wandered around Bed Bath and Beyond completely clueless going trigger happy with the little laser gun.
We both lived with our parents before we got married and always had roommates in college so we were really starting from scratch and had to get everything to fill our home.
I knew that I wanted something to keep my spices in because I really like to cook. I didn't want to just have a cabinet that I kept them all stuffed in.
So, we registered for this beauty.....


It is cool right? Well fast forward to 2014, and feel my growing hatred for it. It is ALWAYS dusty; even right after you clean it, and it takes up SO much counter space which is the worst thing about it because I cannot stand things sitting on the counter. So I knew I needed to make a big change...




So, I started talking to my co-workers about this "problem" that I have, and my boss immediately came to my rescue. She is a huge Costco fan and knew exactly what I needed. She found this awesome magnetic spice stand with 12 of the magnetic canisters on it for $15 at Costco! We looked up what the actual retail price was and found out stores like Bed Bath and Beyond sells the same thing for $39.99
Well, off we went to Costco to search for it, but of course our Costco was sold out AND every Costco in the state of Alabama. Apparently everyone else thought of this genius idea the exact same time we did. I was super bummed and decided I needed to come up with a new plan. My boss later told me that she called Bed Bath and Beyond and told them Costco was offering the same product for $15 and they told her they would sell it to her for the same price! So, off we went to Bed Bath and Beyond and what do you know it wasn't in stock in the store, but they shipped it to us for free and in the end I got what I needed for $25 less than the sticker price!!! AND it comes with a 5 year free, unlimited supply of spices! My boss is awesome! Take that Bed Bath and Beyond!

I had a vision in my head of what I wanted to do with my spices canisters and I was just hoping my vision would be what I though it would. I knew that I didn't want to use the awesome magnetic stand which is a little wasteful, but that would defeat the purpose of me getting rid of one thing on my countertop and just replacing it with another. So, I knew that I wanted to make the canisters pretty by adding some color and pretty labels. So I grabbed some scrap book paper and got to work...


I started by taking off the lid of one canister and traced 12 circles....








Then, I cut each one out and attached it to the lids by using double sided tape that way it isn't a permanent thing in case I change my mind down the road...


I bought these round labels from Target to put on top of the scrapbook paper to make my labels. You can print on them, but I decided to write on them instead


Here is what it looked like when I stuck them on the scrapbook paper. They are the perfect size because I wanted some of the pretty paper to show !



Then, I started writing each spice name on the labels. The spice tree that I had before had 16 spices in it, but I only have 12 canisters. It was easy though, because honestly I didn't even use about half of the spices in the spice tree. I picked the ones I use the most often and started making my labels...


I knew that I wanted to put the canisters on the side of my fridge so they were nice and out of the way, but I can still see them when I want and they aren't too hidden!
Here is the final product...









No comments:

Post a Comment

 

Follow Me!