Monday, July 8, 2013

Burlap and Chevron Monogram Wreath

 
Hey guys!
 
So, one thing that I really enjoy doing but I also get really frustrated doing at the same time is making wreaths. My mom is so good at making her own wreaths and I definitely wish that I would have picked up her ability to make perfect bows, but I just didn't inherit that gene unfortunately!
 
I have made a few wreaths but not many and most of them have ended in some kind of disaster, but I knew that I wanted to make a new wreath to put on my front door that wasn't holiday related. I started looking around on etsy and they are just so expensive! SO....I took a big leap and decided to make my own!
 
Here it is....
 

I purchased all of my supplies at Hobby Lobby:
  • 18 inch straw wreath form like THIS (you can make a larger or smaller version just make sure to adjust the amount of ribbon needed to cover it as well as the size of your monogram)
  • Ribbon to cover your wreath (I used one roll of this chevron burlap ribbon in white. You can find it in the floral section; there are a lot of different colors
  • 1 six inch burlap spool like THIS
  • Wooden Monogram; THIS is the one that I purchased. You will need to compare the size of your letter to your wreath size and make sure that it is smaller than the inside diameter
  • Sheet Moss to cover your monogram like THIS
  • Raffia like THIS
  • hot glue gun and glue sticks
  • scissors
These are the loose steps that I took to make the wreath. It really turned out to be a trial and error for a few steps so the best way for you to make this is to do what works best for you!


1. Wrap your wreath form with your ribbon that you picked out. I like to stop and use a little bit of hot glue every few wraps to make it a little more secure and to hold its tightness. Try to wrap as tight as possible and hotglue the end of your ribbon down to the wreath form.
         
 **If you start to wrap and notice that you didn't purchase enough that is OKAY! This happened to me, and I just knew that the section that wasn't covered by my chevron burlap was going to be the top of my wreath and all I did was wrap my burlap spool around it to cover it so don't go spend more money and buy another spool of decorative ribbon because it is more expensive

2. Cover your letter with sheet moss. This is another step that you have to do what works best for you and your supplies. I turned my sheet moss over and traced the outline of my letter, cut it out and started hot gluing it in place. You can cut out little clumps of the sheet moss too and fill in anywhere that seems bare.

3. Attach your initial to your wreath. This is yet another step that you will have to find what works best for you depending on what your monogram is. Since mine is an "S" it was easy for me to loop the raffia around the top and secure it that way, but you may need to attach the raffia to the back of your monogram in order to attach it. Once you know how to attach the raffia to your monogram, loop it around what will be the top of your wreath, make sure you like where the initial sits inside of the wreath and tie to secure.

4. Wrap what will be the top of your wreath with your 6 inch burlap spool as many times as you would like depending on how much you would like of it to show making sure that you leave plenty of length on your two ends. Use these ends to tie a bow as tightly as possible on the top middle of your wreath.

I tried as best as I could to explain the process that I used to make this...I really just made up the process as I went and tried to find the best ways to attach things where they needed to go so you will probably find a much better and logical way to do this than I did!!! Just comment below if I need to clarify anything because sometimes I am not the best with words or instructions!

   

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

Follow Me!