Thursday, May 5, 2011

A new way to serve goodies!

Just in case you don't already know I love cake plates, cupcake stands, and basically anything cute that serves goodies. So when my mom and I found an article in one of her magazines, we had to hit up the antique stores to get our own materials.

The great thing about this is that you can mix and match and it is easy on your wallet. There are so many antique stores that sell single plates and they are always cheap because not many people just buy a single plate.

Here are the 2 combinations of plates that I found to make my server. None of the 4 plates were over 3 bucks.




Combination number one....




Combination number two! I am still looking for a matching plate for the middle tier so that I can make it 3 tiers, but this is what I have so far.

The magazine article used candle sticks that you can also find at antique stores and thrift stores. You can spray paint them to match your plates! I did buy some brass candle sticks, but I wouldn't recommend using them because they are harder to paint and they did not stick well when I tried to super glue them to the plastic plates that I was using them on. For my antique plates my mom's super creative mind had a great idea. For the antique plates I really didn't want to super glue candle sticks to the plate because it would be fun to mix and match the plates depending on what colors you want to use. So my mom had a brilliant idea....



She found these antique fancy shot glasses that are perfect! They are sturdy enough to set the top plate on, and they have a large mouth and base to allow the plates to balance without glue! The best part is that they were only a dollar! They are so cute and really stick with the antique look of the plates.



Here is what the final products look like....









See how well the plates balance on the shot glass? I love it!







Okay, so I love the antique plates, but there is something else that most of you probably know about me. I love plastic plates and all of the super cute designs out there. So I decided to pick out some plates and candle sticks to make a more casual version!






I picked these up at Goodwill for 50 cents!




Then I added a coat of spray paint. It only took one! Make sure that you look at each candle stick from every angle to make sure you don't miss anywhere!





And the final step is supergluing your candlesticks to the plates! I love this project because you can make each one totally different! Here are the three that I did! They make great gifts which is what I am using them for! And you can always make one for yourself too :)

















They are perfect for serving cupcakes, cookies, candy, or you could always put crackers on the bottom and a cheese ball at the top. Really, the possibilites are endless!


Thanks for reading! :)

















No comments:

Post a Comment

 

Follow Me!