Friday, March 21, 2014

Crockpot Chicken Curry


Happy Spring everyone!!!!!!

I hope that you all enjoyed your first day of Spring yesterday! We enjoyed it by taking Ellie on two nice walks; the weather was nice, but still a little chilly with the wind. I'm so ready for nice warm weather, but definitely not looking forward to the Alabama pollen that is always so terrible!!! Hopefully it will be mild this year...yeah right haha.

So the hubby had a dinner request for curry. He left it open to any kind of curry which I had never made before, so I found an idea on of course Pinterest and tweaked it a little to make it our own. So, I wanted to share it with you guys!




Crockpot Chicken Curry

Ingredients
  • 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts
  • 1 medium sized onion; chopped
  • 2 medium sweet potatoes; peeled and diced
  • ½ cup light coconut milk
  • ½ cup low sodium chicken broth
  • 15 oz. can tomato sauce
  • 2 tablespoons curry powder
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • ½ teaspoon cayenne powder ; if you want it on the spicier side
  • 1 cup green peas – frozen
  • 2 tablespoons lemon juice
  • White or whole wheat rice for serving


Directions
  1. In the bottom of the crockpot whisk together coconut milk, chicken broth, tomato sauce, curry powder, salt and cayenne.
  2. Add chicken breasts, onion, and sweet potatoes. Using tongs, gently toss ingredients together so the sauce can coat everything.
  3. Cook on low for 8 hours or high for 4 hours.
  4. Shred your chicken breast (I forgot this step...boo). Stir in peas and lemon juice 5 minutes before serving.
  5. Serve over cooked rice and enjoy!


I found this sauce that was on special at Target so I decided to get some to experiment with in the future. We decided to pour a little on top of our final product, and it was very tasty! I'm planning on making more curry dishes in the future!



*This recipe makes 4 servings (about 2 cups each) and when I put it in my calorie counter it was 236 calories per serving without rice. This is awesome warm, comfort food that is low in calories for sure!

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

Follow Me!